Monday, February 25, 2008

Who are you?

For reasons weird and varied, I've had to write down all my addresses from the past five years. Of the 7 different places I've lived I could only actually list actual addresses for 4 of the places. Of course I was able to remember the Melbourne addresses but had no idea about my overseas addresses. I don't have records of this information and certainly even if I did, they wouldn't be here with me in Singapore. Having been badgered for the information I actually became a tad embarrassed that I'm unable to recall details from the recent past.

I'm notorious for having a shocking memory for anything that isn't work related. Meet someone one day? Forgotten the next, though if I'm honest they're usually forgotten mere minutes later. It's not that I don't think these people are important or cute or interesting, it's just that I'm bad with names. Generally they go in one ear and out the other.

The point of all this, is that if I can't remember the addresses of the places that I live then did I ever really live there at all? Of course my memory tells me I did, but if I can't even recall a new acquaintances name then how can I trust myself to remember something from several years ago and a few thousand miles away? And if I lost my memory in some bizarre escalator accident then would I have ever been to those places at all given there's no paper or photographic evidence?

Think my head is beginning to hurt...

No comments: