Thursday, December 11, 2008

Will be grouchy if work calls me early tomorrow

Gave in to stomachy temptation and changed my flights so I'm heading back to Melbourne a couple of days earlier. When I booked in May I was able to get 10 days back home for a reasonable price but any more than that was an extra $800!! When I called today they told me I could extend in any way I wanted free of charge. Is the economy really $800 worse off? I couch that in terms of things that we (expats anyhow) have to pay. Either way I have just another reason to praise global downturns. I know this is all going to suck for far too many to count, but frankly this works in my favour.

As much as I say it's all about my stomach I realised today that the fact is that I'm just a bit homesick. Can't wait to see my sisters and my parents. Very concerned about my eldest sister. She asked me to stay at her place if I want to on the pretext that her airedale needs some looking after. So I'll do as she asks. Of course it's just to look after the airedale. For a dog-hater I'm good like that ;)

That, and I just have the strong need to get away from Singapore.

For the last 9 months I've been hating my job. Largely because I didn't think I was doing it as well as I'm capable, so distracted was I by my study. The last two days? I loved being there. Honestly. I forgot that I used to love that feeling. In conversation today the concept of introverts and extroverts came up. Noone ever believes that I'm actually very shy. They laugh when I tell them I used to skip any kind of presentation at university because I couldn't bear the thought of being in front of even 10 people let alone the amounts I deal with now. 10%? Who really cares? I'd rather take my chances out of 90% than take my chances with the slavering beasties that make up university tutorial groups. Anyhow, there it is. I'm not what I appear to be. Terrifying, isn't it? Not as terrifying as doing a job you hate. So I'm happy because work has made me happy after so long.

It's been a Ben Folds kind of night. The first two are just two of the most gorgeous songs ever written and the third just an excellent cover.





No comments: