Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Back to the Gym

For the first time in 2008 I visited the gym. Of course I can detail how busy my life has been over the last few months or how the thought of going to the gym at night with the sweaty crowds makes me nauseous but the fact is I've been lazy and unmotivated. Seeing as how I'm not there to lose weight or to train for the next bodybuilding championship its often hard to find a reason to get up out of bed in the morning.

But oh, what I'd been missing! The nice thing about going to the gym mid-morning is that you always see the same people. The woman in her late-40's who dances around the gym listening to her iPod inbetween sets is a favourite. This is a woman whose face is set in a permanent grimace. Yes, she's actually scary. But the moment she saw me her face just lit up completely and she waved frantically as though I was a long-lost friend rather than the guy who pretends not to look at women inbetween sets. It's honestly one of the most bizarre and lovely things seeing this women actually dancing around the gym. It's the last thing I would expect to see in the gym, or anywhere else for that matter, but she's so into it that I can't help but love her honesty of expression.

The rest of this afternoon was spent fielding phone calls from agents as I begin the Great Property Hunt of 2008. Like many major cities the world over, Singapore is experiencing a real estate boom utterly out of proportion to the rise in most people's wages. That said, I set April as my move-out month and will hopefully have a nice little place to myself by the end of the fourth month. Am going to get a cat-friendly apartment just in case I bow down to my ever-growing desire to co-habit with a new kitty. I love living by myself but having a cat there would take the edge off the days where you sit thinking Geez, here I am by myself eating for one again. I've grown up with cats (and dogs) all my life so whenever I'm living overseas it's a hard slog to be without a pet. Seeing as how this appears to be my most 'grown-up' experience as an expat I figure I an have a cat and then take it with me when I leave.

No comments: