Thursday, April 10, 2008

Salsa




I stopped collecting comics the first time I moved overseas. Once I was back in Melbourne for a long period I began again but limited myself exclusievely to American superhero fare - a far cry from where I'd left off prior to emigrating. Now with cheap comics available easily via Kinokuniya I'm collecting again. While there are the occasional superhero purchases the following makes up the bulk of what I have purchased recently. If you are a non comics reader then I can't recommend the above selection highly enough. Guess I'm heading back to a more emotion-driven indie (ish) landscape.

Went to the gym this morning and found myself confronted by Salsa (the dancing woman from the gym that I think I have mentioned in the past). She must have been bored because in addition to auctioning off her friend as a blind date (to which I declined to her annoyance) she also offered to help me with my househunting and consequently took my number and declined to give me her name because it "didn't matter". Salsa is an enigma. The middle-aged woman that dances around the gym and occasionally does a set on a machine. She's an attractive woman that offers that sense of mystery I've found so lacking in women recently. Don't mistake that on my part for interest in a romantic sense because it's not. I am OFF the market. But I am curious as hell as to who this woman is. Why does she dance alone in a public place? How can she be at the gym almost every day? Doesn't she have a job? If not, why not? And no, I don't think she's a housewife - they tend not to chat to strange Ang Mohs in the gym. So the mystery deepens. Just have to steer clear of her offers of blind dates!

Having been away for work on the back of a break-up you tend to think about what went wrong. What happened? Did I choose the wrong person? Did I break up for the wrong reasons? Etc etc. And you also do the cast-back. Comparing them to previous girlfriends and wondering whether there's a pattern to this tidal wave of breakups. It's always a bit annoying when you look back and think "Damn, I shouldn't have let that one slip away". I guess in such situations, the best you can hope for is that that person is healthy, happy and being taken care of, whether that's by another guy or just by friends and family. As mentioned, have decided to take myself completely and utterly off the market (not that I am some kind of "catch" with above average market value). Given that I'll be studying I think this is for the best. A friend gave me advice recently that was given to him by another - don't make your shopping list too long. I think there's some wisdom in this. If your shopping list is too long from the outset then you may have total blinkers on to the one thing that may be what you want in brand packaging that you never considered.

P.S. Is it just me that's weirded out by seeing a poster at the cinema today for the Sex and the City movie. The series is banned here!!!

No comments: