Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I'm a bad man

I'm a bad person and an enemy of the environment. I may even change the name of this blog to Eco-9/11.

Australia has green bags. The kind you buy at the supermarket for a dollar and then bring with you each time so that you are not wasting plastic bags which end up in the ocean strangling dolphins... or something like that anyhow. The general result? Everyone uses them (I'm making a broad statement but I think it's close to the mark).

I've seen one or two people with them in Singapore but haven't been able to buy any. Besides, as a single guy who shops on the spur of the moment, without a car no less, I likely wouldn't remember to bring it with me on the off chance that I did indeed go shopping. Wednesdays, as of this week, however are "Bring Your Own Bag" day. I think that one's self-explanatory. When the cashier asked where my bag was I couldn't help but look at her, utterly stupefied. Errrr... I left it in my other bag..?

Graciously she consented to giving me some plastic ones to carry my goods home. As I left the supermarket I began to notice the looks. Those looks. The ones I so smugly reserve for people who can't control their children because they only ever take care of them on Sundays when the maid is unavailable. The look that paints horror and disapproval in one crushing grimace of guilt. I was getting those. All because I had no idea it was Bring Your Own Bag day and am not in the habit of planning my spur of the moment jaunts to the supermarket. Maybe I should start planning my spontaneity in the future. Mother Earth might love me then.

No comments: