Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Invasion

Two weirds things infringing on my sense of privacy in the last two days.

1) My girlfriend's sister's boyfriend's mother lives in my apartment building. Still with me? Weird weird coincidence. I only met him for the first time last Saturday and then saw him coming out of my lift. We said hi, but I think we were both a tad unsure whether we were actually seeing reality or not.

This bugs me largely because I like to believe I live in a bubble removed from everything I know in the outside world. Not connected to girlfriends, co-workers, friends, families or any other associated things. So I know it's ridiculous, but having a 6-degrees style someone I "know" living in my building freaks me out a little bit. I enjoy the anonymous stranger routine. Someone did say shortly after I arrived in Singapore that it is a very very small place and they're right.

2) My neighbour, who is also my landlord, called and said she wanted to take a serviceman into my apartment to check the airconditioner. This is a perfectly reasonable request (which I granted) but got off the phone feeling all insecure and funny inside because she was going into my apartment when I wasn't there. Admittedly there's nothing to hide in there, though I may have done something about some of the beer cans. The rest was actually very clean, right down to only having one dirty plate and one knife in the sink waiting to be washed. I'm pretty sure that's some kind of record for a bachelor. Guess I'm just the type who doesn't like to have my things rifled through. It's one of the reasons I don't have housemates.

No comments: